The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:34

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Scene?
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2004, 04:43 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Ive been a fan for a long time, but have never seen the band. I'm interested to know what "scene" if any makes up the primary body of fans. As a fan of many (too many!) styles of music, I don't generally follow any scenes.

Clearly, they may have fans based in metal, from the early years, and I can see the appeal they would hold for people into gothic, techno,prog and experimental music and probably others as well.

All the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2004, 09:26 
Third chance
Third chance

I think at least in Finland those who have listened to tG from Mandylion and NB, have something of a metal background. Back in those days(well, pretty much today too) the only place to find out about new bands was the metal magazines. And those mags were the only ones that reviewed tG, or had any advertises of their records.

I myself listen mostly metal(death and doom). And I don't think tG's more experimental approach to music has scared that many(if any) metalheads away. Look at Anathema for example, they've changed their style a lot as well.

I have no idea at all what younger fans have been listening to before they "saw the light". :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2004, 12:49 

99% of the current TG fans still come from the metal background

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2004, 13:05 
Third chance
Third chance

HerrDica wrote:

Of course, there are some exceptions, such as moi. I spent my teen years listening mostly to alternative, progressive, punk, & the like. In recent years I've been listening to a lot of gothic, darkwave, ethereal, industrial, etc. Actually, I've never been much of a metal fan at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2004, 16:02 
Traveller
Traveller

jstv127 wrote:
HerrDica wrote:

Of course, there are some exceptions, such as moi. I spent my teen years listening mostly to alternative, progressive, punk, & the like. In recent years I've been listening to a lot of gothic, darkwave, ethereal, industrial, etc. Actually, I've never been much of a metal fan at all.

Me neither. I never been a metal fan and never will be i guess. It happened i crashed into TG music by the merest chance at a party, but indeed the guy who played the cd at this party was a metalhead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2004, 18:38 
King for a day
King for a day

Kinder wrote:
jstv127 wrote:
HerrDica wrote:

Me neither. I never been a metal fan and never will be i guess. It happened i crashed into TG music by the merest chance at a party, but indeed the guy who played the cd at this party was a metalhead.

Well I think that I was kind of a metalhead, but I was listening only to the bands that to some kind of unusual things such as Therion, Lacrimosa. That's why I found TG - my friend recommended me HTMAP? and that's how it all begun. I don't consider myself as a metalhead anymore (well, I never did to be honest)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2004, 19:56 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Thank you all for the kind responses! My friend, who will be attending the boston show with me seemed to think the audience would be primarily the Goth crowd.

I have been surprised at several shows over the years by the crowds, mostly because, as I said, I'm not really "in touch" with any scenes. so I never really know what to expect.

The first time I saw the legendary pink dots, for example, I was surprised by the fact that the crowd was almost entirely goths. I can see why the appeal is there for sure, but I thought there would be a much wider area of appeal for them, like for fans of techno, prog rock and psych music, as well as experimental and noise. I was similarly surprised by the crowds at shriekback shows, who were mostly drunk "party" people, as opposed to the gothic, intellectual and dance oriented crowd I would have expected.

Obviously, it doesn't matter what "scenes" are into any given band, I just always find it interesting to see what types of folks like the same bands I do.

All the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2004, 21:18 

:lol: Goth people looks like aliens @ TG gigs!! :lol:

Burn

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2004, 21:45 
King for a day
King for a day

HerrDica wrote:

I Do :P , altough i still listen to metal (to often) i discover new kind of music and bands like, Portishead, Alamaailman Vasarat, etc.

But i also think people who listen goth and darkwave fits as well

Edgar

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2004, 22:43 

Yep of course.. The point is not which scene would fit the best with TG's music (if only their name could reach the snob-ears of the millions indie-rockers...), but the fact that most of the current fans know TG because they are or used to be metal listeners.

And of course these metal-listeners are of the open-minded genre and tend to listen to other stuff (otherwise I doubt they would still be into TG) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2004, 22:49 

Waw ;) you read in my thought like in a book!! :lol:

Burn

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2004, 02:14 
well, i still been a metalhead, but i like the dark music too like: Autumn Tears, Chaostar, Sopor Aeternus, Die Vervanten Kinder Evas, Welten Brand, elend....and others but I've been listening TG since their firsth recording and TG is one of the band i trust in all the thing they do, since Almost a dance till souvenirs and the newest "sleepy buildings" and all the stuff to come!!!

TG simply RULES!!!

=D

T o c h i r o c K

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2004, 08:26 
Always
Always

Believe it or not, I used to be a punk fan, but just as I was getting a bit bored with that anyway a weird (with hindsight) purchase of Marillion's Brave pulled me to more interesting music. Now I listen to a wide variety of music, and metal is in there as well, but I don't consider myself a metalfan... more of a progger if that means anything.

But yes... TG still has the metal stamp due to their past, and are still reviewed in related magazines alongside the latest Cradle of Filth or whatever release...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2004, 02:25 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I started listening to hardcore and metal, then I found The Gathering and Opeth at about the same time and that changed me forever, now I listen to all types of music from electronics to death metal

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 00:24 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I'm a long time metalhead but the gathering simply changed my way of listening to music. Now I'm still being a metalhead, but i also listen to 'sold out bands' (as some of my friends say :wink: ) and things not related to metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 00:29 
Third chance
Third chance

In Russia only metal fans know about Gathering, but most of them of course dislike their latter albums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 18:27 
Third chance
Third chance

Bethrezen wrote:
In Russia only metal fans know about Gathering, but most of them of course dislike their latter albums.

Few of my friends started to listen TG through trip-hop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2004, 09:47 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

I would call myself a metalhead, but I also listen to many bands that are no metal bands. I just listen to the music I like. Just to listen to metal bands or pop bands or whatever is a narrow way of thinking in my opinion.