The Gathering

forum
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:41

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2004, 00:23 
Always
Always

This is an interview Anneke gave to the Greek Metal Hammer at the December of 1999 for the Superheat release.I don t think that there is an English translation for this interview around so I decided to do the translation. I m sure many people would like to archive this.(as for me I really like the part where Annie describes Greek boys and girls! :green: )

GOOD MORNING TO YOU ANNEKE AND FIRST I LL ASK YOU WHY SUPERHEAT IS OUT AS A SINGLE CD AND NOT A DOUBLE ONE AS IT WAS ANNOUNCED?

We had enough material to fill a double CD but we thought that this would be too much. Because our last album HTMAP was double as well.

DO YOU THING IT WAS THE RIGHT TIME FOR TG TO RELEASE A LIVE ALBUM?

Yes we were waiting until our fans asked us to do that. At our last shows many people were asking when are we going to release a Live album so here it is

WHAT ARE FOR YOU THE BEST PARTS IN A GATHERING LIVE SHOW?

I really like the last part of the gig where we play our more energetic songs and I love to see the audience participate the reason we are doing gigs is to give pleasure to our fans to express thanks to them in a way, the feeling of satisfy and be satisfied is amazing!

DO YOU THING THAT THIS LIVE ALBUM CAN PUT ACROSS THE FEELING OF A TG CONCERT TO SOMEONE WHO HASN T EVER WATCH YOU LIVE?

Well this is difficult because nothing can match the experience of seeing the band live. Also live the sound is rawer and less refined.

SUPERHEAT HAS RECORDINGS FROM TWO SHOWS BOTH IN HOLLAND. IS THAT BECAUSE YOU ARE MORE FAMOUS THERE?

No its not that. The reason is that its costly to carry all the necessary gear for a live recording abroad. That's the main reason we chose these Netherlands shows. But we recorded unprofessionally the gigs we did to Greece because of the great atmosphere and the vibes at your country!

MANY PEOPLE SAY THAT WHEN A BAND RELEASE A LIVE ALBUM A NEW CHAPTER BEGINS FOR THE BAND.

Yes but for us every new album is a new start The Gathering continue to grow and expand musically and the feeling of being in this band gets better and better.For this live CD we did some work in the studio adding some overdubs and now it's the time to write song for our next studio album.

AS FAR AS I KNOW A CD WITH UNRELEASED TRACK WILL BE RELEASED SOON CAN YOU TELL ME SOMETHING ABOUT THAT?

This collection if everything goes well will be released at the summer of 2000 It will include some covers we did in the past some extra tracks and other stuff for the people who love The Gathering

EXCEPT THIS COLLECTION THE FIRST TWO ALBUMS OF THE BAND ARE GOING TO BE REMASTERED AND RE-RELEASED. WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ABOUT THEM? DID YOU HEARD THEM BEFORE JOINING THE GATHERING?

Actually no. my boyfriend at the time was saying to me what a great band they are and that I must listen to them When I finally met the guys and became a member of the band I heard them.
They are really good albums the lyrics are excellent and the atmosphere very gloomy and heavy. Especially Always… although it was recorded with very little money is an outstanding album. But what I don t like is the growling vocals.

NOW ANNEKE FOR A MORE PERSONAL QUESTION. HOW DO YOU FEEL AS A MEMBER OF TG AND AS A GIRL IN THE METAL SCENE?

There are sometimes when bad thing are written about us but that's inevitable when you are getting bigger and more people know you.I like the rock/metal world the audience is very devoted and loyal although I don t consider ourselves as a metal band we have many more influences as well and many people seem to like that.Some times I had to deal with sexist behavior but they are few

HOW ARE THINGS GOING FOR YOU IN YOUR COUNTRY? DO MORE MAINSTREAM MAGAZINES AND STUFF SHOW INTEREST IN YOU, EXCEPT ROCK/METAL PUBLICATIONS?

In Holland we have done many appearances to the TV and radio and some mainstream magazines are writing about us. The same thing starts to happen in Germany where we are becoming more mainstream. Of course interviews to rock/metal magazines are always many

THE TOUR YOU DID FOR HTMAP WAS THE BIGGEST ONE UNTIL NOW I THINK. ANY NEW PLANS FOR MORE CONCERTS BEFORE GOING BACK TO THE STUDIO?

We will do some shows for superheat on February and thats all. For this tour we went to USA and it was cool!tours can become tiring for your body but we really like them… We love to play live.Its just that when you are on the road for 3-4 weeks you start to long for your home and family

DO YOU FIND ANY FLAWS TO HTMAP NOW?

Yes you can never be satisfied 100%.Im not really hearing this album anymore as I heard it hundreds of times when we made it.Is just that for the next album I would prefer a rockier and less refined sound.

LETS TALK FOR THE NEXT STUDIO ALBUM NOW.

It will contain some short rockier tracks and some more trippy ones. One of them is called Bad Movie Scene and it's a slow one with piano. We have other titles too but we may change them as we usually have problems with choosing titles so some things will be changed

CAN YOU TELL ME SOME THINGS ABOUT GREECE. WHAT ARE YOUR MEMORIES FROM MY COUNTRY?

Greece is a very beautiful country. First we played at Salonica and then during the trip to Athens we had the chance to see how beautiful your country is. We met some very nice and warm people and I think that when you go south you meet friendlier people. And something else: I noticed many pretty boys and girls!I love those mediterranean brunette features…I find them very attractive.

ANNEKE THIS IS THE LAST QUESTION: CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THE FUTURE OF TG?

I don t like to speak about the future very much We just want to write beautiful and honest music and give and receive the maximum from what we do.Next thing is our studio album.

OK ANNEKE THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!

Thanks and take care!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2004, 17:31 
King for a day
King for a day

thnx Mecano...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2004, 11:11 
King for a day
King for a day

mmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mecano!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2004, 17:00 
Third chance
Third chance

hey!! that was a good one, thank you mecano!
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2004, 02:19 
Always
Always

You´re welcome guys :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2004, 02:31 
King for a day
King for a day

In Greek Metal Hammer of this month there is also an interview with Anneke. I think that I'll do the translation in some days and I'll post it...

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2004, 21:09 
Always
Always

Mecano wrote:
This is an interview Anneke gave to the Greek Metal Hammer at the December of 1999 for the Superheat release.I don t think that there is an English translation for this interview around so I decided to do the translation. I m sure many people would like to archive this.(as for me I really like the part where Annie describes Greek boys and girls! :green: )

CAN YOU TELL ME SOME THINGS ABOUT GREECE. WHAT ARE YOUR MEMORIES FROM MY COUNTRY?
And something else: I noticed many pretty boys and girls!I love those mediterranean brunette features…I find them very attractive.

HOHOHO!!! Way to go!!!! :green: :green: :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2004, 22:05 
Always
Always

Oh yes the lady has great taste :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2004, 23:03 

In the Greek Metal Hammer of march'04 there is an interview with Anneke. Did somebody read it?

http://www.hammer.gr/231/interviews.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2004, 21:21 
Traveller
Traveller

Ther you go! :D
Original interview by Zois Liaromatis for Metal Hammer and Heavy metal(Greece),no 235.
The interview takes place minutes after the end of the band’s soundcheck in Athens 09-05-04 and anneke speaks.At first it seems like another ordinary-typical interview but things change as we reach the end.Enjoy!

1)How’s the tour so far?Where are you heading next?

It’s great.It have to say this year’s tour is better than any other.There is slightly more people coming to our shows in each country we are playing.It was really good.This weekend we are in Greece and after that we are heading back home,where we will play in some more shows and festivals.Moreover,in a few weeks we will play in Russia for the first time,we are working on some new songs,we are quite busy at this time.

2)What are the reactions from the fans so far,concerning the new album?
Quite good.I didn’t expect this because I think that live albums don’t draw the fan’s attention so much.But i must admit that the album is doing pretty well and its sales are also ok.There is a possitive vibe,people are talking about it and attend our concerts.We didn’t expect that this would happen for a live album.We all thought it was special but you never know if the fans will actually like it.

3)The setlist today will be based on “sleepy buldings” only or there will be other songs as well?
Yes,we play many songs from “souvenirs” and “black light district”,the records we did before the live album.We also play some semi-accoustic stuff and other more rock-oriented songs as well,because if we only played the semi-accoustic ones….we don’t want people to fall asleep during the show(laughs).We did that show in holland,the crowd was sitting on their seats all the time and these were very emotional moments,but when you are at such clubs as this one today,you have to show a more “rock ‘n’ roll” attitude.

4)The crowd in Holland didn’t fall asleep during that show though,when you recorded “sleepy duildings”…Yes,yes that is true,i’m glad that they didn’t (laughs).

5)Where you inspired by another band in doing the “sleepy buldings” album?
No,not really,we had this idea fro a long time now.But i know that there are many bands doing the same thing right now.They all had the same idea,the “hey,let’s do an acoustic album now!” kind of thing.Yeah,it is quite funny,maybe this is a new trend(laughs).

6)But,if “sleepy buldings” was –in a way- created because you “had to”, in order to end your contract with century media,why did you tour to support it?
I think that every album we make has to be a good one,a good “the gathering” album.The fact that this album was the last one with century media had only to do with business criteria and contracts,that’s music business etc.That’s why we didn’t want to make a best-off album only,we wanted it to be special because we want each album of the band to be a (points out the word) “gathering” album.Our names appear on the credits of this album and therefore it has to be good.That’s why we always do whatever possible in each album,we promote them,we tour for them and…..

7)…..you respect your fans.
Οh yeah,sure thing we do,and they also respect us as a band.Moreover,i love to tour,I love to be perform live so….why not?

8)Does “sleepy buildings” either as the title track or as the whole record represent the band’s style in the future?
“Sleepy buildings” is such a “pure”(?) record,we were insired by its “purity” during the albums creation.We had to get rid of all the “heavy” stuff and all while we recorded it.”Souvenirs”,on the other hand,has such a “wide” production,there are many things going on inside that album.Therefore “sleepy buildings” is exactly the opposite of “souvenirs”,it is so “empty” and I like it that way.
I think that the next record will simply be rock again,as we originally are,maybe a little “cleaner” though.We were inspired by sleepy building’s purity,but now I think it is time to rock a little more,be more up-tempo.
9)Let’s go back to the past.How did you start your carreer as a singer?

As far back as I can remember myself,I would always sing and dance.My beginning was with the school choir at the age of 12.We toured with that school choir at Christmas and i already had a solo song to sing.I was on stage from that on.That was the biggest thing I did when I was young.
Before that,my mother wanted me to go to these so called “singing contests”,and I did that at the age of 10-11.So,in a way,i was always on stage,enjoying the crowd’s attention,singing and dancing.The gathering is,of course,the biggest band I participated in.I was in some other bands before them,many different styles of bands,I also did some duets or I even played alone on the street with my guitar.I have played for quite a long time in the streets to make money in the past.

10)You were in need of money?
Yes,a long time ago,maybe 15 years back from now,I didn’t have enough money and I’d always have these stupid jobs because I was singing in some bands and such.Two times per week I would travel to different cities,put my hat down and just play,in the middle of the street. :o :o :o
11)Could you ever think that time that some day in the future you would create albums,tour all around the world and be so appreciated by the fans for your music?No,no these things exactly!(laughs).We aren’t a huge band,the gathering aren’t that huge but we have such a great status.We play everywhere and the fans that attend our shows all around the world like us.On the other hand though,we always come back home,we can walk around and noone will recognize us.Hardly anyone(laughs)!.
And that is so great because you can actually live your life and then get on tour and have so many fans that admire you.This is the greatest thing in the world!When I was singing in the streets,I (points out the word)knew it somehow that I walk down on this path,because I simply love music.I don’t care how but I just knew that this is what I always wanted to do,create music for the rest of my life.But,yes,I could never dream of being part of such a great band.We are having fun all the time,we have such good friends,we create our music……It is awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2004, 22:33 
Traveller
Traveller

Thanks for the translation :lol: :lol: :lol: , interesting interview :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2004, 05:54 
Always
Always

Yeah, thanks for the translation...HAHAHA!! I surely don't need it, but I haven't bought the magazine, so... no original source for me!!! :green: :green: :green: :green: :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2004, 07:27 
Traveller
Traveller

Very nice new interview! Thanks for posting the translation 42147 :D

An interesting read for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2004, 08:36 

Nice interview and thanks for posting it here. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2004, 09:40 
Traveller
Traveller

The interview included 3-4 questions to marjolein but there was nothing special,just the typical ones and so i didn't posted them.
I did know the anneke used to play in the street for money,that was shocking but i guess you have to work so hard to gain the status she has today :D
And again what she thinks of the band,that they are at their perfect level,many fans around the gllobe but also a private life to live easily...man,i have to form a band soon :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2004, 15:32 
Third chance
Third chance

Nice interview, thanks for translating :D

Looking at where she (or the whole band) is now, Its hard to imagine Anneke having to sing in the streets for money like that... :o very ineteresting!

xxxxx