The Gathering

forum
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:10

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: I cannot believe...
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 03:16 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

about 5 or 6 years ago, my first contact with this band was 'Always' album... I really liked it, it was heavy, strong, but at the same time very melodic... having an excellent combination of voices...

a couple of years ago I got Mandylion album, it was different, but keeping the metalic influence... it was good for my ears too...

nowadays, looking for material of, what i thought it was a "great" band, i found myself with this "thing"... :-?

sorry for the fans, but what is this crap? :-?

there's nothing to do with original Gathering musical concept, this is the most gay music i've ever listen! :P

I mean, if you guys wanted to make that kind of music, no problem, but, WHY DIDN'T YOU CHANGE THE BAND'S NAME? :-?

This is not "The Gathering"... I don't know what it is! :lol:

I'm not trying to make a fight about this, but I would like to know WHY did you continue using this name if the original concept is now completely DEAD. I mean it is not a simply "evolution" of music... this is something completely different from your beginings... :roll:

where is your metalic heart rutten bros? :P

i salute you :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 03:30 
King for a day
King for a day

I think their career will last many years longer than your career of posting here.

Just a guess. :green:

hangyord wrote:
about 5 or 6 years ago, my first contact with this band was 'Always' album... I really liked it, it was heavy, strong, but at the same time very melodic... having an excellent combination of voices...

a couple of years ago I got Mandylion album, it was different, but keeping the metalic influence... it was good for my ears too...

nowadays, looking for material of, what i thought it was a "great" band, i found myself with this "thing"... :-?

there's nothing to do with original Gathering musical concept, this is the most gay music i've ever listen! :P

I mean, if you guys wanted to make that kind of music, no problem, but, WHY DIDN'T YOU CHANGE THE BAND'S NAME? :-?

I'm not trying to make a fight about this, but I would like to know WHY did you continue using this name if the original concept is now completely DEAD. I mean it is not a simply "evolution" of music... this is something completely different from your beginings... :roll:

Post subject: Re: I CANNOT BELIEVE...
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 08:02 
Third chance
Third chance

hangyord wrote:

Lets discuss this point. I prefer the term "melancholic music". 8)

hangyord wrote:
where is your metalic heart rutten bros?

lost in the course of time? Always was released in 1992, now we have 2006.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 08:43 

hangyord wrote:

It's stil there, Hans recommended me to listen to the last album of Agalloch, I went on their webiste and their mysapce and it damns kick ass! So if you dont like what the Gathering does nowadays, you can maybe get happy with that stuff ;)

ho BTW, did you ask Metallica to change their name too?? :green:

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 08:46 
King for a day
King for a day

Burn wrote:
hangyord wrote:

Or Katatonia, Anathema, Tiamat, etc etc. :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 10:36 
Always
Always

Precious. Just precious. How old are you again? 8)

Seriously though, if this guy ever gets past post #1, I'd love to have a talk with him about Home. It'd be interesting if somebody who hated the album could talk about it constructively, so that we could get another point of view.

Hee hee, "the most gay music". Priceless. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 10:57 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

BridgeToClarity wrote:
I think their career will last many years longer than your career of posting here.

thanx for your opinion :roll: nothing more interesting to say?

-> this is just what I think, and what happened to Gathering through time really surprised me... if I cannot discuss it in a forum... :roll: have you ever heard about DEMOCRACY? :D

Burn wrote:

last album of Agalloch ............ you can maybe get happy with that stuff

thanx dude, I will do it ;-)

Burn wrote:

hahahaaa! :lol:

but, you may agree that Metallica didn't go so far far away like Gathering did... ;-)

Ronald wrote:
I prefer the term "melancholic music". 8)

ha! ok... but the term "gay" was the first one whan I listen to Home or Souvenirs.. :P
I know the only gay is Enrique Iglesias... :lol:

Ronald wrote:

hangyord wrote:
where is your metalic heart rutten bros?

lost in the course of time? Always was released in 1992, now we have 2006.

mmm... that's something I can't believe, I think (just THINK) that metal blood (yes, cursi :P) is forever, so I suppose Rutten bros never were truly "brothers of metal" :D Perhaps they were simply young and lost? :lol:
I suppose I am NOT going to listen Tango in 20 years... :P

Last edited by hangyord on 16 Aug 2006, 11:02, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 11:00 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Mac-T wrote:
Seriously though, if this guy ever gets past post #1

you got it 8)

hangyord wrote:
I'm not trying to make a fight about this

not in vain this is called a DISCUSSION FORUM ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 11:03 
Always
Always

hangyord wrote:
Mac-T wrote:
Seriously though, if this guy ever gets past post #1

you got it 8)

Good for you!

I stand by my quote then:

Mac-T wrote:
Seriously though, if this guy ever gets past post #1, I'd love to have a talk with him about Home. It'd be interesting if somebody who hated the album could talk about it constructively, so that we could get another point of view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 11:13 

hangyord wrote:
but, you may agree that Metallica didn't go so far far away like Gathering did... ;-)

I actually still hear the same atmosphere in Gathering whether it's 2006 or 1992.. I can't say that for Metallica at all...

And r egarding the Gathering being a metal band? They never claimed so... it just happened that they started to create atmosphere with that genre... If TG would still exist when they are 70, then I guess it would be more jazzy than ever ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 11:17 
King for a day
King for a day

Burn wrote:
I guess it would be more jazzy than ever ;)

that will be awsome!!!! I really hope that happens. Imagine those keabords and anneke's voice in a jazzy way.... woooooo, I hope that happens! :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 11:23 
King for a day
King for a day

I think TG should do a reggae album next. I think they could pull it off, no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 11:38 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Burn wrote:
And r egarding the Gathering being a metal band? They never claimed so...

am I wrong or what they did in Always or Mandylion (almost a dance is something strange :P) is GOTHIC/DOOM METAL? :roll:

a few months ago when i searched for this "gothic/doom" band I found THIS! :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 11:53 
Third chance
Third chance

I understand hangyords point of view. "Home" is far away from "mandylion" or "always" and not everybody like this development. But that is always happened if artists try to be under way. As a fan, you can go with your band, or you just listening the old records.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 12:25 

It's not because one of your album can be labelled as such you are doomed to do this music all your life...
the Gatehring is just a bunch of 5 creative people putting their talent in common to create some beautiful tunes...
It's a bit like I dunno... if all the work of Patton was regrouped under his name... he chose to have different names depending on the projects, the Gathering chose to sick to the name thei chose in th ebeginning... and why not?

the fact you dont like their evolution is another issue

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 13:31 
Third chance
Third chance

hangyord wrote:
there's nothing to do with original Gathering musical concept, this is the most gay music i've ever listen!

Well, who can argue with such a well thought argument! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 13:51 
Always
Always

[fanboy] If The Gathering had kept on playin doom metal songs since the beginning of their carreer, personally i guess i would have never been the fan i am today, and even tried to register in this forum a few years ago (during BLD era)... [/fanboy]

nothing else to say... well... i guess.

it's so cool to be a fanboy... really

:green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 14:29 
Always
Always

I think that everything around the matter of stopping releasing albums under a major name has to do with music business....and in a second term with the roots of a band which defines the approach to the music they want to create as a band...

Just see the scene they began...we are talking about the late 80s where death metal scene had started to gain contracts in the music business. Most of the bands were in the train of death metal to start playing extreme metal music. Can you see the demo days of the early/mid 90s bands? See the demos of Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Therion, Tiamat which were MAJOR bands of the early 90s atmospheric metal scene. THEY WERE ALL OF THEM STRAIGHT DEATH METAL - NO ATMOSPHERE APPROACH ON THEIR SOUND!

The Gathering were THE ONLY ONE with a demo release in 1990 - An Imaginary Symphony - which had the sound the other bands had years afterwards....And if you listen to Always carefully you will understand that it is not a typical atmospheric death metal album!The second album and the straight influence in the sound of Vanity/Nemesis by Celtic Frost proves the fact that they were beyond of the whole scene...

I was really lucky to listen to them before Anneke comes and I am listening to their releases since the Mandylion - Foundation 2000 didnt have good distribution that days....I felt terribly when Nighttime Birds released because it had Century Media sound....I was hoping to have a good release after this and How To Measure released!Needless to say I felt that the band FOUND its own way FOR GOOD!Since then the band is really approaching elements that NO band of the early/mid 90s scene imagine to approach!

And just take a look around you.....Paradise Lost try to define their sound around the mid 90s where they had great success, Tiamat has been out for good with releases that sucks, My Dying Bride play what they know = the same stuff as 13 years before, Anathema's evolution stopped for good 5 years ago and Therion made clones of Theli for a decade! Even the first band with only female vocals has changed the sound of their albums and haven't had any success - 3rd and the Mortal.....So if you see it correctly ALL that scene disappeared and the new scene that came over has been releasing albums to sell out = Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation etc.

The Gathering never tried to define a sound and play it again and again...the others tried to do the same and made a mess ( Tiamat ) or prefered to play the same stuff even though they tried to make an evolution album ( My Dying Bride )

This is my own point of view as a 12 year old fan of them...nothing more, nothing less!And I am really proud of being a fan of them because NOONE around me liked them....ALL around me listened to the major bands which in the late 90s quit or made a mess on their sound!The Gathering made a MASTERPIECE instead that days! If this is a reason for changing the band's name then I would say that you have to listen to their albums carefully again - especially the demo recordings of Mandylion and Nighttime Birds! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 14:59 
Traveller
Traveller

+1 to Prowler, except the part about Therion. Deggial and Secrets have nothing in common with the rest of the albums.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 15:38 
Traveller
Traveller

hangyord wrote:

What is your problem?
My first contact with TG was, as you, with Always... in 1995. I love this record, it's unbelievable well conceived. But TG has evolved since then and knew how to keep things interesting. The key word is EVOLUTION! I don't think the band should change the name. Do you consider that TG is nowadays very far, far away from its "metal begining"? You are right, but what then? I consider myself a true metalhead ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ), but that doesn't mean I can't pay attention to good music (you know, there is great music OUTSIDE metal as well...), and TG is amanzingly fine music.

Don't regret for what the band has lost (the "metal" subject), enjoy what the band can still produce: wonderful and emotional music.

Keep listening to metal, if this is the genre you enjoy the most. But do not forget that metal is only a genre inside a wider spectre, the spectre of MUSIC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next