forum
It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 02:10

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2004, 14:53 
Third chance
Third chance

dave o wrote:
Ok, so what happened with the July tour? Well hope you guys can come back next year. Peace.
Hans wrote:
Hi all,

Unfortunatly we will not tour the USA in july. We will try to come back in 2005. More details soon. On behalf of the band, sorry.
He isn't going to answer the question dude, probably got other things to do altho it would be nice if we knew why the tour didn't happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2004, 17:59 
King for a day
King for a day

If you ever come in Quebec I'll be sitting in front of the door at 2pm I swear!!! :flower: :flower:

Burn for King
Burn for Queen

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2004, 04:09 
Traveller
Traveller

Maybe they can't afford a U.S. headline tour right now. But, I think they should consider even performing as a support act for a U.S. tour. Whatever it takes to get them more U.S. exposure.

:flower:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2004, 15:43 
Third chance
Third chance

DARK1bc wrote:
Maybe they can't afford a U.S. headline tour right now. But, I think they should consider even performing as a support act for a U.S. tour. Whatever it takes to get them more U.S. exposure.

I agree, they should consider being a support act at least ( like Lacuna Coil did this past Spring) so we north american fans can see them again, they need to be heard over here, they are too good of a band to not be heard by people over here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2004, 21:36 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

I totally agree..........the gathering is a well kept secret here in the states........especially on the west coast........I mean I have never met anyone from where I live that has heard of the gathering............I encourage my friends and associates to check em out via the web site......hopefully I am cracking the dikes that hold back the water of that is the gathering, from the ocean of the U.S. .....................I have a good feeling that there are others out there doing the same........it only takes a few seeds, to end up with a glowing garden of sound.........peace everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2004, 02:16 
Third chance
Third chance

Reactor wrote:
DARK1bc wrote:

I agree, they should consider being a support act at least ( like Lacuna Coil did this past Spring) so we north american fans can see them again, they need to be heard over here, they are too good of a band to not be heard by people over here.

That was a great thing that Lacuna Coil did. I see freakin commercials on Fuse for their new CD and people with their t-shirts at concerts. Not that I don't like LC, but I think that I'd much rather see TG with that exposure. I'm disappointed that they couldn't make it back again, but it is reassuring to hear that they are at least planning on coming back.

I have always thought that TG can "make it" here, but the recording industry here is such a machine that it makes me sick. There are SO MANY bands that can't break into the US market because of it. Let's hope that the efforts of TG and the collective wills of us (their US fans) can help them be profitable to tour here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2004, 15:18 
Third chance
Third chance

Yeah, it's cool LC are breaking out big here in the states, i saw them a few times last year but they have a bigger label that is pushing them big time so they can tour here more often than the Gathering can which sucks for them, the Gathering are too talented to be ignored over here and Anneke is the best singer out there in my opinion so it's always suprised me why they don't get noticed over here more but yeah, the music biz sucks and it's tough for bands like them to break out here but the last tour was decent for them this past winter ( aside from Lamours closing and the gig in Canada) , the club i saw them in in Boston was sold out so they do have fans here, we need to spead the word about them as fans to others so they can experience what we already do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2004, 03:25 
Third chance
Third chance

sold out? That's awesome. I tried to get a local club (near Albany, NY) in touch with TGs promoter, but I guess it didn't happen. :( It seemed to fit well before or after the Boston show - it's only a 3 hour drive.

No matter how many or how few shows they do here, I think it's a good thing. Especially if the shows sell out. That means that the club will want them back and hopefully will treat them well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2004, 05:37 
Third chance
Third chance

i went to the show in DC and i was very disappointed since only about 200 people showed up. it was an awesome show but i doubt TG will ever come back with such an small audience... :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2004, 15:28 
Third chance
Third chance

That is sad only 200 people showed up in DC but i think they will be back here in the states someday, maybe not DC but somewhere else, let's hope so. They did well in Boston, the club seemed to be sold out as it was packed and people were buying Cd's, t shirts like crazy so good for them. I have a friend who saw them in Nottingham, England last year and there were about 60 people for that show so that was strange too, go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2004, 01:32 
Third chance
Third chance

I have bootlegs from almost every US show (if not every one, I don't remember now) they did on the HTMAP tour and there was quite a range of audience sizes. One show seemed to have only like 30 people clapping but others seemed like 500 or 1000 people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2004, 15:39 
Third chance
Third chance

memento wrote:
I have bootlegs from almost every US show (if not every one, I don't remember now) they did on the HTMAP tour and there was quite a range of audience sizes. One show seemed to have only like 30 people clapping but others seemed like 500 or 1000 people.
Yeah, i guess it depends on what city they were in, well we'll just have to wait for another tour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2004, 00:44 
Traveller
Traveller

memento wrote:

Yeah, it seems thats the turnouts were quite varied on those US shows of the HTMAP tour. I was reading an old issue of the "Underneath the Mask" TG fanzine (#8 - Oct. 99) in which Hans wrote a tour report.

It appears the largest crowds were the shows when The Gathering were a support band. Playing in support of King's X in Chicago & Minneapolis, he lists the attendance at 600 and 400 people respectively. The crowd from the Philly show supporting Switchblade Symphony also looks quite large from the video footage I've seen of the show. Sounds like they also had a decent crowd for the Lorain, OH show supporting the Misfits & Earth Crisis....seems like an odd billing :lol: , but apparently they recieved an OK response. Then of course there was the Milwaukee Metalfest...I'm guessing from memory there was around 2000 people at the festival....probably around 500 - 600 or so in the main room when TG were performing.

The rest of the headlining shows apparently brought in mostly 50 - 200 people...with the best attendance in LA & New York.

Overall based on this, The Gathering did much better (as headliners) this time around February 2004 with the 3 US & Toronto shows. The Wash D.C show was the only one with a weak attendance from the reviews I've read. Honestly, I'd have to guess much closer to 100 people than 200 at the show. :-? Of course I was so mesmerized by the amazing performance of TG, I was practically in a trance....oblivious to those around me. So, I'm not too sure....seemed real empty.

I guess it probably would be more feasible for TG to come back again to the US as a support band...to make more people aware of them. It would just have to be a carefully selected billing. Both Switchblade Symphony & King's X I think were pretty decent choices for the few 1999 shows they hooked up with...I can definitely see fans of both bands appreciating The Gathering's music. A well selected opening slot could increase their US fanbase considerably. Unfortunately a real big downside in this is a shorter setlist for TG.

Maybe for selfish reasons.....I really want to see the Gathering opt for another headlining tour. With most of the February shows being almost 2 hours in length.....it just doesn't get any better than that. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2004, 02:45 
Third chance
Third chance

2 hours of TG. I can dream. :) Black Light District is my new favorite song.

They are hard to match as an opening act. Lacuna Coil did well, but they are easily still classified as heavy metal. Not so for TG. It would have to be a band that has a fanbase that appreciates the mellow stuff and the bursts of metal that still show up. Maybe A Perfect Circle! that might work. Or if Fish comes back to the US. That was an awesome show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2004, 15:30 
Third chance
Third chance

I think they can do another headlining club tour here and do well, maybe as an opening act but yeah, it would have to be with the right band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2004, 14:47 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

Maybe they cancelled the tour due to Anneke's pregnancy...I saw on the website she was VERY sick for a while.

Well, if they're planning on next year that's great! I'll be more prepared then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2004, 15:31 

No they didnt get the 2nd tour cause it couldnt properly be booked in time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2004, 18:36 
Third chance
Third chance

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Of course with Anneke pregnant, it'll be a long while before we see them back here in the States but we can wait, it's totally understandable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2004, 02:27 
Traveller
Traveller

memento wrote:
...It would have to be a band that has a fanbase that appreciates the mellow stuff and the bursts of metal that still show up. Maybe A Perfect Circle! that might work. ...

Yeah, TG and APC would be a very cool show. The styles would definitely complement each other.