The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:49

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 18:39 
Third chance
Third chance

I think the opening paragraph is a little misguided. Tarja didn't 'air her dirty laundry' to which Nightwish reacted, they fired her with the infamous open letter. And I don't think The Gathering could have generated a huge media circus even if they had wanted, Nightwish are just a far bigger band so there's always going to be much more interest.

"who are the better band?"
Whichever one whose music you enjoy the most. Though of course we can approve of the way one band goes about its business more than the other.

That said, I did think the actual review part of it was good!

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 20:27 

TG has a more cult status than Nightwish even with all their circus... and still the review stands on many points

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 21:09 

i came across this review

Summary: Anneke Who?

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 21:49 

Hehe I share a very big part of this guy's point of view :)

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 00:22 
Third chance
Third chance

Burn wrote:
TG has a more cult status than Nightwish even with all their circus...

But what does that mean, "they have a more cult status"? That their appeal is more selective? ok.

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 09:42 

That in 10 years probably more people with remember the Dutch band than the Finnish one... even if both still exist

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 03:03 
Third chance
Third chance

Alright, I'll meet you back here in 10 years time to see if that's true :)

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 14:39 
King for a day
King for a day

Here's a user review from the UK Amazon site:

Quote:
There's a certain section of fans of The Gathering that really irk me, despite being in the minority. These fans are characterised by over-the-top Anneke van Giersbergen worship. I suppose its something that just occurs whenever any, major or minor, loses a talisman/woman that was central to the band's success. Its no secret that the reputation of The Gathering hit a new stride when Anneke joined to provide her talents on vocals. She took The Gathering from a supposedly mediocre death/doom hybrid to a successful rock band, which is still where they're at now. Although there is no doubting her obvious influence and stature, The Gathering is a group of musicians, equal on every level. It was never a case of Anneke and The Gathering, its simply The Gathering. Iconic bands like Death lost their vocal point and decided to call it a day, which is fair enough since Chuck passed away, but Anneke hasn't. She didn't die, she hasn't left our world forever. In actual fact, it was her decision to leave the band and find a new challenge which, again, is fair enough. Its her career and her choice to do as she pleases and when the news that she was leaving hit the crowds, people were astonished. It did seem rather out of the blue and even took me by surprise. However, the band's intentions were to struggle through the difficult time, having lost a major part of the band and their success, and find another vocalist suitable to the band's style and tastes. Enter Silje Wergeland, also the vocalist of gothic band Octavia Sperati, whom I'm not overly familiar with. The Gathering were never about individual performances and the strength of each record isn't based on that either. Its all about teamwork and a good team ethic, which is what the band has and will always seemingly have since the acquisition of top musicians since the band's arrival on the Dutch and worldwide scenes.

I assume its only since Silje's arrival that Octavia Sperati have been put on hold. The future of that band seems rather uncertain in these troubling times. Whether Silje can maintain the level of high standards she's used to with Octavia Sperati, and step it up a gear on a larger scale is unknown on the live circuit. The demands of The Gathering may be too much for her to sustain two careers, with two different bands. Octavia Sperati fans probably won't be too pleased, but the majority of The Gathering fans have seemingly taken in Silje with open arms after this performance of `The West Pole'. I held some apprehension in regards to several things; A) Her performance. I had heard snippets from Octavia Sperati and it was decent, but not great. Their material seems to have been well met by audiences of the gothic variety, which bodes well. Would she be able to take her performance to another level and satisfy the fans of this legendary Dutch band? And B) Would the fans accept her despite how good her performance might have been on the record? The answers seem to be leaning towards a yes, particularly in terms of her reception from the fans. As far as I can tell, she seems to have been greeted with outstretched arms. However, although I can see the appeal of her vocals and generally accept that she is a talented artist, I'm an old man now, I'm set in my ways. I don't think that Anneke's departure signifies the end of the band, by any means, but it means a certain shift in power. Before Anneke left, The Gathering were beginning to establish a fine trend of repeating the level of performance they had. The performance levels were consistent and special. The band's atmosphere, although experimental, was set in stone in some ways. You never knew exactly what you'd hear on any The Gathering record, but you knew it would be of a high quality. This record, `The West Pole' is rather mixed. It doesn't have the same finely tuned balance as the band had worked on for many, many years. It isn't unusual that The Gathering have taken on a slightly harsher sound, though the record does tend to twist its form around to the complete opposite at times. `Nighttime Birds', in particular, was a `heavy' record (for The Gathering at least).

Although I didn't immediately take to it, I eventually, over several years, came to appreciate its concrete sound, as opposed to the abstract that The Gathering generally tend to follow. Some of the content of this record sounds like odd fillers, whilst the rest tries to work on a new and previously unheard of sound, giving a rather post-rock ambiance to the atmosphere (crafted especially well by the underlying guitars). The balance isn't quite right and it shows in songs like `No Bird Call' which, to my ears, is distinctly average and `When Truth Becomes Sound' which acts as a instrumental build up to the rest of the material but only servers as an annoying and disappointing filler. However, this song does show a different horizon from over the mountain for The Gathering. Its about as metal as they've sounded in years, bringing a heavier, but ultimately clumsy outlook. The one true mainstay of the performance is from the bassist, Marjolein who has gone from strength to strength in recent times. Her presence is always felt and always greatly appreciated. I'm reminded of many of the post-punk greats, such as Joy Division, when I listen to this outfit nowadays since the bass leads the performance. Or, at least, it outshines the rest of the instrumentation and herein lies the consistent problem - an ironic lack of consistency and flow. The songs writing has taken a dip in form, like a sportsman ravaged by injury struggling to find his feet. Switching between different emotional aspects of the record is risky and doesn't exactly pay off. When the record truly kicks into gear, like on `Treasure' or the inspiring `Capital of Nowhere', which unleashes a plague of sorrowful vocals and instrumentation upon the listener, once again led by the fantastic bass contribution, the record is a good listen and certainly is enjoyable, but the fluctuation between songs is unnerving.

The backbone that constructed many of the great records from this band IS still there, but is bent out of shape. The bass is phenomenal, which cannot be stated enough and the ambiance can be awesome when those atmospheric tendencies rush to the foreground of the soundscapes, but certain average songs kick the wind out of the sails of this band. It may sound quite harsh as I do genuinely enjoy this piece. I just accept that it isn't the strongest offering from the band. Like `Mandylion' was to Anneke, `The West Pole' is to Silje, a first attempt - a rehearsal for things to come. I don't see `The West Pole' as anything other than a stepping stone to better things. A raw, almost previously untouched sounding record is hampered by an angst ridden production, a few mediocre songs and a disjointed construction. The song writing needs to be re-worked, but not extravagantly. Drop the edgy sound and keep the mellow ambiance and this band, with this line-up, could definitely go on to greater things. The Gathering will always hold a special place in my collection and will probably be my favourite act for another few years until something in me and my life changes to alter that, but this is a work in progress as a lot of the instrumentation, bar the bass and post-rock-ish guitars is forgettable. While `The West Pole' might add a heavier touch to the sound of this Dutch legend, the content doesn't stand up to previous offerings where the band have given themselves a hardened edge, offerings such as `Nighttime Birds' or even the old classic `Mandylion'. Never before have the lyrics to `Travel' on the memorable `How To Measure A Planet?' record seemed so apt when applied to the content and history of `The West Pole'.

"The crowd waits
and turns their faces
towards you expectantly
you give them what they need
But their useless criticism
makes you die
a bit more inside

Not a subject to control
you call upon a higher power
for help and inspiration"

A little mixed, don't you think.

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 18:01 
Third chance
Third chance

I don't think there's going to be any problem about Silje having to "sustain two careers, with two different bands"!
And this is not the first review I've read where I wonder if the author is aware that there's more than one singer on the album ...

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 20:10 
King for a day
King for a day

Well, let's face it, the opening statement is written from the outside looking in. Perhaps this Amazon purchaser doesn't consider him/herself a true TG "fan". A lot of nonsense is written about "fandom", but one thing is for sure (well, I think so) - people who stick with a band and follow its evolution tend to have a lot more knowledge about the band than, shall we say, "casual observers". :wink: Having said that, this person has obviously gone to a lot of trouble to write the review.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 20:44 
Third chance
Third chance

http://www.fileunder.nl/archives/2009/0 ... t_pole.php (in Dutch)

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 23:20 
King for a day
King for a day

BabelFish wrote:
The morning sun rays are trying to slide the curtain aside. It takes' em a lot of effort, but ultimately seems a radius by the tiny crack that appears between the two halves is. The rays fall exactly on my face. I wake up in the warm glow I rub the sleep from my eyes and turn me around. Since you lie. I carry you again. It is strange that you now is. Actually I was even ready with relationships. That is not as crazy as long as you are with the same woman and her fifteen years of intensive experience have But if I so pleased you next see me, then I think what makes it. You only live once and the spark that oversloeg when our eyes crossed for the first time could hardly be ignored. Furthermore: Everyone knows my weakness for Scandinavian women So nobody was surprised that I came home with you. The period of flapping love scanning units together was short but intense. You went with me soon, that travel, that we found nothing. And now we do things for the first time I the past fifteen years have already made with other. Not because I am forced to give the same interpretation to this new relationship, but because things are as they walk. Furthermore, we also enough new stuff together for the first time. In the first encounter with my friends and my parents all you received with open arms That was nice. I Streel again your hair. A smile on your face. I feel happy. For me, this is a long-term relationship. Hopefully you also think so.]

Well, you get the general idea. :wink:

PostPosted: 13 May 2009, 05:57 
Traveller
Traveller

I've just finished writing the review, and it's the longest one I've ever written. I hope someone bothers to read it :lol: . Ah well I'm sure you'll enjoy it, I'll post it as soon as it's uploaded to www.metalicos.com :D .

My photos! (some gigs, including TG)

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 14:27 

Here is a very good review in French http://www.metal-impact.com/index.php?n ... nt&id=3616

The babelfish translation (sorry didnt feel like making my own) gives this

Quote:
Three years without news of our favorite Batavians is long, very long. Après le départ de la belle Anneke, on craignait un peu de voir THE GATHERING plonger et émerger de l'eau encore à la recherche d'un nouveau souffle, mais c'était sans compter sur la créativité sans bornes des frères Rutten… After the departure of the beautiful Anneke, feared a little to see THE GATHERING dive and emerge from the water still searching for a new breath, but it was not counting on the boundless creativity Rutten brothers ...
A l'inverse d'un NIGHTWISH qui se contente de donner des coups d'épée dans la mare, les Hollandais ont su faire face à une défection qui aurait pu (du ?) s'avérer fatale, et en ressortir grandis. At the opposite of a NIGHTWISH that just goes kicking sword in the pond, the Dutch were able to cope with a defection that would have (from?) Prove fatal, and grown out.
Alors bien sur, pas de réelle innovation sur ce The West Pole , pas de révolution évidente, mais en est il besoin lorsque l'on est à ce point en avance sur le peloton ? So of course, no real innovation here The West Pole, not revolution obvious, but is it necessary when you are so ahead of the pack? Une fois de plus, les sons sont triturés, tordus, transfigurés, pour qu'une épure magnifique en naisse, et l'alchimiste en perdit une fois de plus sa chimie… Once again, the sounds are crushed, bent, transfigured, for a magnificent blueprint born, and the alchemist in lost once more chemistry ...
Peut-on voir pour autant dans ce nouvel effort une pause dans la recherche ? Can you see if this new effort in a break in the search? Il n'en est rien, mais savoir se raccrocher à ses bases pour mieux repartir de l'avant est l'apanage des grands, et lorsque l'on accueille en son sein une nouvelle vocaliste, il faut lui laisser le temps d'apprécier le décor, de palper les tissus et de s'approprier les lieux avant de songer à en modifier l'apparence. This is not so, but know how to hang up its bases for a better start from the front is the preserve of large, and when it receives within it a new vocalist, we must give it time to assess the scene, to palpate tissues and appropriate places to consider before changing its appearance.
Silje WERGELAND s'est donc parfaitement fondue dans le décor au point parfois d'occulter toute trace de son illustre aînée, même si des similitudes de timbre viennent nuancer ce propos. Silje WERGELAND was therefore perfectly melted into the background at some point to hide all traces of its illustrious predecessor, though the similarities are qualified stamp this. Une voix qui sait se faire douce, enjôleuse, caressante, puissante, évocatrice, tentatrice, un professionnalisme non dénué de sensibilité lorsque l'ambiance le réclame… A voice that knows how to make soft, alluring, caressing, powerful, evocative, temptress, professionalism not devoid of sensitivity when the mood called ...
L'album commence comme pourrait débuter un reunion-album des PIXIES, avec « When Trust Becomes Sound », instrumental abrasif, sec et nerveux comme un riff du petit matin, nappes de guitares tendues prêtes à exploser. The album begins to start a reunion album of the Pixies, with "When Trust Becomes Sound" instrumental abrasive, dry, nervous as a riff of morning, strained layers of guitars ready to explode. Mais bien vite, « Treasure » nous ramène en terrain connu, avec ce Rock décalé, aérien, qui part de rien pour vous faire décoller et ne jamais atterrir. But very soon, "Treasure" takes us back in familiar territory with this Rock décalé, air, leaving nothing for you to never take off and landing. « All You Are » et sa batterie prenant des airs de boite à rythme humaine enfonce un peu plus le clou, et la voix de Silje fait le reste…Electro-Rock ? "All You Are" and the battery taking air drumming human pushes a bit more nail, and Silje's voice does the rest ... Electro-Rock? Pop-Metal Synthétique ? Pop-Metal Synthetic? Peu importe le flacon pourvu qu'on ait l'ivresse…La nostalgie du titre éponyme et son tempo lent comme un hiver trop long souligne un peu plus à quel point la beauté peut parfois se loger dans la tristesse la plus profonde, on regarde s'éteindre la dernière bûche alors que les guitares s'évaporent dans le lointain… « No Bird Call » repousse les frontières de la poésie nostalgique avec ses paysages vocaux blancs et purs comme la neige de décembre, tandis que « Capital Of Nowhere » évoque le meilleur Pink Floyd, celui de Animals , avec ses accords plaqués menaçants et son tissu sonore inquiétant, au diapason d'un final vibrant et planant… Regardless of the bottle so it was the exhilaration ... The eponymous title of nostalgia and its slow tempo like a long winter a little more stressed how beauty can sometimes lodge in the deepest sorrow, we look at s turn off the last log while guitars evaporate in the distance ... "No Bird Call" pushes the boundaries of poetry with his nostalgic landscapes voice and pure white like snow in December, while "Capital Of Nowhere" evokes the Best Pink Floyd, the Animals, with its chord and its menacing sound fabric worrying pace of a vibrant and final plan ...
« You Promised Me A Symphony » ressuscite le fantôme de Tori AMOS, et son clavier sépulcral vous donne la chair de poule, et l'opposition/succession du très éthéré « Pale Traces » et de l'énergique « No One Spoke » révèle une fois de plus le caractère protéiforme d'un groupe qui mérite le respect. "You Promised Me A Symphony" resurrects the ghost of Tori Amos, and his sepulchral keyboard gives you goosebumps, and opposition / succession of very ethereal "Pale Traces" and the energetic "No One Spoke" reveals a Again, the protean nature of a group that deserves respect. Quelques influences early U2 pour le côté le plus sombre, une légère touche late PARADISE LOST POUR la fureur contenue, l'affaire est quasiment bouclée… « A Constant Run » n'a plus qu'à fermer la porte à double tour et nous voilà piégés… Some influences early U2 to the darker side, a touch late PARADISE LOST FOR fury contained, the case is almost ready ... "A Constant Run only has to close the door to double tower and we trapped ...
Si cette chronique devait se faire l'avocat du diable, je serais bien ennuyé au moment d'énoncer les faits reprochés à THE GATHERING. If this column should be the devil's advocate, I would be annoyed at the time to state the charges against the gathering. Peut on reprocher à un groupe son goût de l'expérimentation, son envie permanente d'avancer, sans renier son passé, tout en ouvrant grand les yeux vers un avenir toujours aussi influent et créatif ? Can we blame a taste for experimentation, his desire to move permanently, without denying its past, while opening your eyes wide to a future still as influential and creative?
Non. No.
Peut on reprocher à un groupe d'affronter l'adversité avec ses meilleures armes, et de continuer son chemin en composant des hymnes parfaits après qui tout le monde court sans jamais arriver ne serait ce qu'à les frôler ? Can you blame a group to face adversity with his best weapons, and to continue his journey by composing hymns perfect after all that the world is never what would happen to the brush?
Non. No.
The West Pole , est le meilleur des deux mondes. The West Pole, is the best of both worlds. Et le seul reproche qu'on puisse formuler à son encontre, est qu'il n'a pas grand-chose à faire dans les pages d'un webzine de Metal. And the only criticism one can make against him is that he has little to do in the pages of Metal webzine. En considérant que vous ne soyez pas capables d'ouvrir votre âme à une musique superbe et ciselée. Considering that you are not able to open your soul to music and superb carved.
Ce qui n'est bien sur pas le cas. This is of course not.

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 17:24 
King for a day
King for a day

Hmm. Can you do that without the French and the English being interwoven? :wink:

What did you think of the other review that I tried to translate? It's a nice "left field" piece, if you ask me!

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 18:02 

damn google...

so here is it http://translate.google.nl/translate?u= ... l&ie=UTF-8 :)
I hope this works now

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 18:38 
King for a day
King for a day

Yes, that's good. However, "resurrects the ghost of Tori Amos"? There's a curious turn of phrase.

If you're using Mozilla Firefox, you can install BabelFish as an add-on. You then go to a web page, block-mark the text and hover over it. That generates a panel with the translation in it. Block-mark and copy that translation, paste it here and you're done.

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 19:08 

Yeah, the guy got a bit lost in himself when he comes to Troi Amos.. I mean a Piano and a voice dont make a Tori Amos song... but wel.. the rest is nice :)
Thanks for the add on tip :D

PostPosted: 15 May 2009, 21:01 
King for a day
King for a day

In my opinion , " You promised me a symphony " has nothing related to Tori ( Well maybe only a piano and a female voice :green: ) this guy is completly lost here :lol:

PostPosted: 15 May 2009, 22:35 
Traveller
Traveller

Finally! Definitely the longest review I've ever written :P , but it was necessary IMO.

http://www.metalicos.com/Paginas/Compac ... stPole.htm

Do visit the web-page, but here's a translation made by Mr.Google (not a very good one though :p):

Hated by many, loved by most, this is The Gathering. And, behold your
most recent album. First of all, it should be noted that the great effort
was done with this release. To be honest, I have no idea
how difficult it must launch a new album with a singer, then
that the previous (Anneke van Giersberg) after being off 12
years compared to the band. From the album of worship (for some)
Mandylion via masterpiece called How to Measure a Planet?
to the simple (but generally good) Home, Anneke has
vocalist, and in recent years, the total image of the group as a poster
I have only seen it, the banda is blurred in the background. That said
much.

Anyway, after hearing hundreds of people, it was decided by band
Octavia Sperati vocalist, Silje Wergeland. As in the
Hugo Prinsen Geerlings good left his position as bass player, going
Anneke was a breath of fresh air for the banda. No, lie, was the
rebirth of one of the best bands that ever existed. Outbound
by Anneke, although it was not on good terms, it was the best thing
it could have happened to the banda. Again, just see the posters of Home
Anneke like to see everything was centralized to the point where the
Gathering Anneke had become. It is necessary to
Anneke and Silje comparison: Which of the two band? For me,
undoubtedly Anneke. However, is this what matters? Definitely
no. Silje is a great singer, and best of all, it is coupled
excellent way to band.

Never judge by the samples on MySpace, because the quality is
much less than the album. Anyway, the album starts with arrogance,
excellent introductory instrumental song "When Trust Becomes
Sound. "Here we see that when Hans and René said the album
would have a greater focus on the guitars was not a lie, because in
this song just about guitars. Great line from
distortion up to the final.

After this there is a fairly abrupt change to "Treasure," a song
you hear a little "pop" as the type that one would hear on the soundtrack
Gray's Anatomy. This is a pretty funny song (and dance
my opinions), is generally quite happy. It is good from the start
guitarresco low until the end. "All You Are" is better than
last one has worked faster, in fact I love the drums.
Here we go noticing how much it has changed the style of banda,
from a Trip to Rock-a "Indie / Alternative" strange. Guitars
are excellent, with a unique sound and rhythm.

"The West Pole" is a pretty good song, although it felt much
influence on How to Travel to Measure Planet? in the choir. It is quite
environmental sense, but very slow "heavy". The
end that includes violins, are combined so
Silje excellent. In fact there are parts I do not like this
song, but definitely not bad. "No Bird Call" is a song
with total focus on the keyboard (it was composed by Frank), is
Environmental and slow, but disappointed by this. Not for all
taste, but it is good.

Capital of Nowhere "is just great, and has the characteristic of
which is sung by Anne van den Hoogen (I have no idea who he is,
but he sings quite well). All instruments are well detailed and
Join greatly. Later we have heavy parts
definitely reminiscent of "if_then_else" in its tone and "How to
Measure a Planet? "In style.

"You Promised Me a Symphony" was composed entirely by Silje is a
song very, very personal. Just read the letter, "your guns,
your lies, your cigarettes [when he says that word, but I do not know that
very sensual hear] your war. "It is a sad song but totally
enjoyable. "Traces Pale" was composed by Frank, and is much
better than "No Bird Call." This is sung by Marcela Bovio (companion
Latin singing in Dutch banda Stream of Passion ") with great
passion, his voice is not unique but the soul that comes, comes the soul. The
guitars in this song are very interesting to pay attention.

After almost four songs quite slow (of course, depends on what
which is slow for everyone), it is the great pride and "No One
Spoke. "The change is so dramatic so fast that one is immersed in
this excellent song. It is one of the songs moved to the brand
Gathering, with incredibly detailed composition, rhythm changes
and sublime sentiments about everywhere. The beautiful letter, "We are walking
on fire / We were sinking desire / I am leaving my past / You are changing at
last / We talked and talked but no one spoke / We laughed and laughed but
No one smiled. "

La banda no to the fast pace, and finally, read "A Constant Run."
Here the band shines completely. This is what I like to call the "opus
magnum "The Gathering, a long time I hear a song so final
powerful, so full of everything: anger, love, sadness, Everything! This is a
incredible song, the rhythm is so good that one can not remain
still, we must dance, or even shake the Gren. Yes, the Green Wave
with The Gathering! Simply excellent, a perfect end.

Something that was ugly is the art within the book, the true picture of
The banda is just horrendous. It is a pity, but should have
because another person to take the picture. The cover is a bit strange
perhaps not at all with the album, but it is very good.

The album was produced by René, who hired him to wait more
albums since production of the album is almost perfect. René bravo!
The guitars are excellent (René and his distortion crazy jeje), Hans
is a master of the drums, and Frank shines with their environments and
compositions. However, I must comment about a member
Special Marjolein Kooijman. Incredible, perfect, superb! This is
as described Marjolein's work on bass, as "colleague"
I can say that the bass work on this album she is the
best I have ever heard in my entire life.

Anyway, this is an album to be heard several times (about 3) to
able to understand and digest, then it is difficult to stop
listen. The wait was worth it because "The West Pole" is
excellent. This is possibly the best banda album from the "How to
Measure a Planet? "Or" if_then_else "beyond (perhaps much) to
"Souvenirs" and "Home." ¡¡¡The Gathering is back and better than
never!

http://www.myspace.com/gatheringofficial

Rating: 91/100

Daniel J.

I hope you enjoyed it! :D

My photos! (some gigs, including TG)