The Gathering

forum
It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 16:37

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Violin beginner
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 13:21 
Always
Always

Well, soon I'm starting violin lessons with a teacher and I 've already checked some books and instruments.

My city is not very big, meaning that there are very few stores to get a violin and/or books. From my research till now, I've discovered some 4/4 Palatino violins that cost 125 euros (that's about $100+). Of course, as a beginner I'll have to stick with a cheap violin until I start improving my sound etc.

Any piece of advice is more than welcome and also if you have any suggestions about a spesific violin or even comment the quality vs price of the Palatino ones.

Case NOT included in the price (I guess).

Books:

1. "The essential string method", by Sheila M. Nelson (Book #1)
  2. "Eta Cohen's violin method" (Book #1)
  3. "Fiddle Time Joggers: A first book of very easy pieces for violin", by Kathy and David Blackwell (Book #1)
  4. "Essential elements for strings: A comprehensive string method", by Michael Allen, Robert Gillspie, Pamela Tellejohn Hayes (Book #1)
  5. "The ABC's of violin for the absolute begginer", by Janice Tucker Rhoda

edit: typos

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 21:26 
King for a day
King for a day

ask your teacher, he'll know better than any of us here really. especially when it comes to local shops and books and that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 22:59 
King for a day
King for a day

I can't offer any advice about instruments and music either, because my violin lessons took place soooo long ago, but you might like to check out just how flexible your left arm is, and perhaps do some preparatory "twisting round" exercises. Look at the position of the violinist's left hand on the neck of the instrument, and you'll realise that you need to turn your hand around about 180 degrees from its normal, comfortable position.

Some beginners try to compensate by rotating the instrument to the left, but that makes it virtually impossible to use the bow at right angles to the strings - i.e. parallel to the bridge - which you must do.

I once bought a very cheap Chinese-made violin for about £25 (about 20 years ago?). The instrument is finished a bit roughly, but it's perfectly playable - at least, it would be if I still had a decent bow. I'm looking at it right now. I guess it's a Stradivarius-style copy like so many violins, but that's no bad thing.

Possible shock coming if you've never played before: How exactly do you make a decent sound with the bow? I'll never forget the early attempts of some of my classmates, most of whom gave up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006, 00:42 
Always
Always

Yep I guess it's only trumpet that could sound worse in a beginner's hand than violin...But with a lot of practice or just a sudden holy light which shows you the right arm and bow position it's all after you in a while.

Violin is a very hard instrument. That arm position-thing feels really like a torture stimes :wink: But it's worth to learn it. I wish I didn't stop it before I could have learned some Tchaikovski stuff :(

And one more thing that can case cathartic moments: playing in an orchestra! Great times we had!!!

Good luck, Thefan!!!

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006, 01:28 
Always
Always

Thank you all!!! :flower:

I'll keep you informed. The earliest time my lessons begin are 15-20 days. But you can keep posting anything that I might find useful and/or you experience!

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006, 10:33 
King for a day
King for a day

Just a few more thoughts.

Get one of those padded, clip-on supports to help with the problem of holding the violin under your chin. You should then be able to support the instrument just using your jaw and the pad, with both hands free. That'll help when you get round to vibrato.

The secret to making the right sound depends on the bow and the applied pressure and speed. Adjust the bow tension so that its neither too slack nor too tight. Get enough rosin on the hairs, but not too much. When you apply the bow to the string - always at right angles - don't apply too much pressure, but always keep the bow moving. Glide, in fact. Bow hairs break - don't worry about it.

There are no frets, so it helps if you have perfect pitch. Keep listening and keep adjusting, and your fingers soon work out exactly where to go.

Don't be over-awed by all the great violinists out there - both past and present. There's a long, humble folk tradition too - and some of those folk fiddlers made their own instruments out of whatever they could get (rectangular "boxwood fiddles" and suchlike). As for the current greats, I'd say think Maxime Vengerov or Anne-Sophie Mutter rather than Vanessa Mae. Nigel Kennedy is wooden by comparison - and I think that the late Yehudi Menuhin, while technically brilliant, wasn't that expressive either. Above all, the violin is an expressive instrument.

If you want to find out just how expressive, try listening to "The Lark Ascending", by English composer Ralph Vaughan Williams, without being moved to tears.

If you want to find out just how challenging it gets, put on the first movement of the Brahms Violin Concerto and wait for the soloist to come in. OMG! :o

Daeron's right. I too spent some time in an orchestra. OK - it was just a youth orchestra, and a second-rate one at that, but if you should ever find yourself on a concert stage playing (a slightly simplified version of) "The Great Gate of Kiev", from the Mussorgsky/Ravel work "Pictures at an Exhibition" ... It's a life-changing experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006, 19:08 
King for a day
King for a day

your teacher is supposed to be there to tell you all you need to know, not only how to play a C#, but also virtually all information you need, all kinds of tips, from books to composers. just be a bit patient young man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2006, 00:11 
Always
Always

Yep that's the most important: keep patience and faith that you're able to do it. Geoff is also right with that support thing, that jaw-shoulder lock means a lot by freeing hands and getting into both-hand concentration without worrying about the instrument falling, moving etc.

And tell us about your first experiences, mate! :flower:

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2006, 15:02 
King for a day
King for a day

Daeron wrote:

daeron youre a pervert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2006, 22:55 
Always
Always

Thanks again people for your interest. I'll surely keep you informed when I start the lessons.

One more thing.. Have i mentioned I'm 24 years old? :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2006, 01:32 
Always
Always

pretty.hate.machine wrote:
Daeron wrote:

daeron youre a pervert.

Haha no just instrumentophil 8)

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 00:05 
King for a day
King for a day

jesus...you shag guitars?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 00:38 
Always
Always

:green: :roll:

Actually, I'm in love with my bass guitar, that's true...But it's only platoic. She is the jack cabel's lover, that jack f*s her every time I need to play :evil: :evil: :evil:

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2006, 21:44 
Always
Always

I've made progress. I'm currently playing my first piece "Twinkle twinkle, little star" (W.A. Mozart). Of course I'm still working with the hands, the body position, relaxing etc, but each time I get better and better. I'm falling in love with the violin!!! :D