The Gathering

forum
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 06:29

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2007, 00:04 

http://www.rebelx.org/interviews/interv ... hering.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2007, 01:14 

20-3-2006
We sat down with Frank, the keyboardist of The Gathering before their show at the Middle East Club in Cambridge, MA.

MPJ -Your new album titled "HOME" will be coming out April 18th, Can you tell us a little about the writing process that took place for this album?

FRANK -We wrote most of the material about 8 months before we went into the studio. We had about 15 - 16 potential songs written and ready to go. We then decided to rent a space, where we could create more inspiration, at least that is what I think was the main reason. So, we rented a really small church, a chapel if you will, in the south of Holland. We recorded most of it there, except the vocals, and most of it was recorded live
MPJ -Nice, so you were able to capture that energy of playing live that way.
FRANK -Exactly. That was the main reason that we did it that way. The vocals were done later at our producer's own studio in Amsterdam.
MPJ -I hear that the new album has more of a "rock" vibe going on then that last album, "Souvenir"?
FRANK -Well, it's more up-tempo vibe. I prefer to refer to it more that way. It's not like all of a sudden "Rock-n-roll." It's very atmospheric, emotional music.
MPJ -Now that album is coming out in the States, being distributed through The End Records, and in Europe through Sanctuary Records?
FRANK -Yeah, Sanctuary in Europe. Sanctuary is probably like one of the largest conglomerate record label over there. There is a lot of stuff going on there.
MPJ -Now they are just distributing your records, but the album is actually on your own label, Psychonaut Records, correct?
FRANK -Right. They handle the licensing, distribution and promotion of the album. Our own label, Psychonaut Records are way too small for that.
MPJ -With that type of deal, it gives you the freedom to do your own thing though...
FRANK -Well, Yeah. Artist deals, that we had in the past with like Century Media, or totally out of fashion. Not too many Modern Rock do Artist deals any more. Bands tend to start their own label or sign to a smaller label and then license it to a larger label. I think it's better construction, because if you have an Artist deal, they are going to nail you to make you do things that you don't want to do. But without an Artist deal, like you said, you have total freedom over everything you do in actuality.
MPJ -The End Records has posted a sample of your song, "Shortest Day" Will this be the first release?
FRANK -Yes, I believe so. It is the first song on the album, and I think that it's a good song to represent the whole album. I don't believe that we are going to have an official single, we are not that kind of band.
MPJ -Right!
FRANK -I also of course depend on how things go with the record. If it does well, we might decide to do one anyway but no plans right now. Sanctuary Records also has samples of "Shortest Day."
MPJ -Did you guys choose "Shortest Day" to be sampled?
FRANK -Yes.
MPJ -Recently, You guys kicked off your "Homeland World Tour?"
FRANK -Yes. That was a little over 2 weeks ago in South America.
MPJ -How has the tour been going? I heard you had bus troubles a few nights ago in Atlanta, GA?
FRANK -Yeah. After the Austin show, we were heading up to Atlanta, and we were 2-3 hours into the drive and we had troubles with our bus.
MPJ -Oh no.
FRANK -Yeah. We had to stop and get it fixed and so we lost a day on the tour.
MPJ -Outside that, how has the tour been going?
FRANK -Good. We played in Springfield, VA, just outside Washington DC. last night. It's been really good.
MPJ -You only have a few dates here in North America and they are ending soon... Any plans in the works for returning soon?
FRANK -No. Not really. Touring here is much difficult than in Europe. The drives between cities are much longer. Not that we don't enjoy touring here. It's really nice here, but on the more practical side of things, it's more difficult. Like we started in Wako TX and then after the bus, we had to drive to Springfield, VA and the ride was like 22hrs.
MPJ -Yeah! That is rough!!!!
FRANK -Yeah, it's long.
MPJ -You guys have to add more cities and dates in between!
FRANK -Yeah, that would take 2 months! It's hard because we want to play a good show and give each show 200% and the long rides make it difficult. When we tour in Europe, the longest rides between cities are 6hrs. Even last night it took 16hrs to get from Springfield to here. We got caught in traffic in NYC for like 30 blocks.
MPJ -Yeah, you could get out of the car and run faster than you can drive!!
FRANK -Exactly!!
MPJ -On a more positive note, you guys won the Edison Award, which I heard is similar to the Grammy Awards here in the States, for "Best National Music DVD" for "A Sound Relief."
FRANK -Yes, it is a big achievement in Holland.
MPJ -Now that was the 2 disc DVD that was record live in Amsterdam, right?
FRANK -Correct. One DVD contains the concert and the other DVD contacts facts about us, we filmed us on tour in 2004, and there are photographs. It's about 35mins long.
MPJ -Yeah, We bought it. It's pretty cool.
FRANK -Did you register your copy?
MPJ -No, we never got around to do that. I saw something about getting extra stuff if you do register it though?
FRANK -: Yes. If you register you can get the soundtrack and a few other extras too.
MPJ -Century Media re-released CD for their 15th anniversary, and your band was listed to have one of these re-releases with new art work and liner notes? Did you guys participate in that?
FRANK -Yes. We weren't really happy about it, but they were going to do it because they own the rights to it for the rest of our lives. The law gives them that right. Did you know that this is the only country that does that? No other country can own a musician's work for their entire life? After 10 years, you can gain your rights back, but here they own the rights. So, they told us that they were going to do it, regardless if we wanted to or not, so they asked if we wanted to participate or not. We wanted to make it as nice as possible, it still has our name on it, our fans still are buying it. So, we made liner notes and notes for the B-side accessories that go along with it. We did try to help them including helping with the artwork for it. It really was all that we could do. Of course we will get the royalties back on it, but they were going to do it anyway. So we decided to make the best out of it.
MPJ -So what would be your advice for upcoming bands that might go through something like this?
FRANK -Never sign and Artist Deal. Just start your own label and try to get a licensing deal! Obviously it's easier said than done.
MPJ -But it the long run, it's worth it!?
FRANK -I think so. Times are changing and more bands are going in that direction.
MPJ -Yes they are. Is there anything that you would like to say to your fans at this time?
FRANK -Just to keep searching for good music. There are plenty of it still around. Just enjoy it and stay cool.
MPJ -Thank you very much for doing this interview.
FRANK -Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2007, 23:10 

http://highwiredaze.com/thegathering.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 19:35 

Marjolein Kooijman, where are you based? Oss, the Netherlands

At what age did you first take a bass in your hands? I think I was about 14 years old

What attracted you to playing bass? It's deep & warm sound.

Did you play any other instrument before you started playing bass? I played guitar already

Can you remember the first piece you ever learned on bass? 'Come As U Are' by Nirvana

What was your very first public performance? With my first band, Wings Of Solitude, we played at a school party haha! We were really LOUD!!!

What’s your current band? The Gathering

What’s your main bass? Fender Jazzbass USA (Black, rosewood fingerboard), Musicman Stingray (Ferrari Red, maple fretboard.); Alder bodies. maple necks.

What strings to you like best? I'm still looking for the perfect strings. Right now I use D'Addario's and Ernie Balls

What is your backline bass amp setup? I use a Eden tube amp with two 410 cab's.

Fingers, plectrum or both? mainly fingers, sometimes Dunlop 1 mm plectrum.

Have you played double (upright) or acoustic bass? I'm learning to play upright bass, it's not easy. I love that sound, It's on most of my favourite records.

What type of music do you play? alternative rock, triphop

Who do you listen to when you’re not playing? My favourite band The Cinamatic Orchestra

Have you recorded/released any CDs? The Gathering have released many CDs with their former bass-player. My first recording is a live-DVD called 'A Sound Relief'. Next Autumn we'll be recording our new studio album.

What was your best gig/venue ever? My favourite gig ever was in Santiago, Chile. The crowd completely blew me away, it was so much fun :)

Were you ever on a TV show? Yeah, MTV Russia

What’s your favourite album/CD? Dummy by Portishead

Do you play/own any other instruments? I have a lot of guitars: a Gibson Les Paul, a Fender Strat and some acoustic guitars.

Do you sing? Sometimes, but I'm a little shy

Have you ever performed onstage without your bass? I play guitar in another band, but it's been a while since we performed live.

Have you played outside your own country? Since I'm playing with The Gathering I've been all around the world. Pretty amazing!

What’s your opinion on basses with more than 4 strings? I like a low B-string, that's enough for me. My Stingray is tuned down to BEAD

What do you feel is the bass-players function in a band? The groove is most important to me, I also like it when there's something fresh about the music. This can be anything, also the bassline.

What are your ambitions? Making good music from the heart & improve myself in doing this.

http://www.bassgirls.com/bass_kooijmanm.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 16:31 
Always
Always

http://perso.orange.fr/crazy/interviews ... ng2006.htm

I know the law you bastards

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2007, 21:08 

05.03.2007 : Interview with The Gathering (March 2007)

http://thydoom.com/en/interviews/18.html

Just a few days after the New Year the questions were sent to the singer of The Gathering, Anneke van Giersbergen, and here is our short but valuable interview now.

Hello Anneke, thank you for the consent to answer my questions. First of all, better late than never, Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! How did you and other members of the band spend these holidays?

Haha, better late than never but happy 2007! We spent our C-days with our families.

So now you are back to touring with your latest album Home. Is 2007 going to become “a year of concerts” or we should expect some new releases from The Gathering like planned earlier “A Noise Severe” DVD?

Yes, we toured for Home and we will continue until after the summer. We are working on some new songs as well but we are still in the demo-stage. And we will record the live DVD A Noise Severe coming month in Chile. It will come out later this year.

In your opinion doom metal, gothic metal, electronic experiments, etc. are all over for the band now and The Gathering has determined their way or the search is still going on?

We don't really think in terms of music styles. We just create the music we love and that is always a reflection of the time we live in at that moment. So it's possible we will be inspired to make a rock album this year, who knows!!??

You had been holding a fan videoclip contest recently, whose idea it was and how it went?

We came up with the idea ourselves. We had many entries and they were all very creative! We use some of them for our live show projections and of course we picked a winner. He is from France.

Do you and other band members have some favourite The Gathering song?

We all have our favourites but a song like "Travel" we all love because it's a very emotional and intense. It's great to play live and share the reaction with the audience.

Honest, sensitive, sometimes dream-like lyrics (for instance, “Shortest Day”, “Walking Hour”, “Your Troubles Are Over” and “Home” on your latest album), intriguing, maybe strange song names (“Red Is A Slow Colour”, “Sleepy Buildings”, “Even The Spirits Are Afraid”...) – these are what fans love in The Gathering so much. How does the process of lyrics writing usually go?

Thank you! Lyrics and also music come in various ways. Usually we talk about it when we make the music first. When Frank or Ren comes up with a riff or a melody they say what they thought about when they wrote it. Most of the time they already come up with the title. Then I can very easily come up with the lyrics. And sometimes I just think of words when I do something else like walking or doing the dishes. Also the time when we almost fall asleep is a very creative time. Our minds start wandering and a lot of ideas come forward.

Not long ago you have become a mom, congratulations! I wish all the best to your son! Are you going to persuade your son in some way to take up music as he gets older?

Thanks! I think Finn should go and do whatever he feels passionate about in his later life. He likes music already and of course he is exposed to our instruments and music preference so if he wants to do music that would be great but if he feels a passion about mathematics he should definitely pursue that life.

Now lets dream a little if you wouldn’t mind. Imagine yourself living in some other epoch (100, 500, 1000 years earlier as you wish), could you describe yourself?

I would have liked the old Egyptian time I think! I could also very well play music and be a mother. Maybe even a teacher!

What is it – The Gathering – for you?

The Gathering for me means being “together” in a band and make music we love. Also to travel together and having a great time is very important for me.

Any wish to your fans in Russia? Should we entertain hopes of seeing you live in the near future?

I hope soon! We had a wonderful time when we were in Moscow!

Thank you very much for this interview! Good luck on your 2007 tour!

Thank you! They were very nice questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2007, 11:56 
Always
Always

http://www.rocking.gr/article3364.php

Interview meta to live sthn thes/niki...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2007, 18:19 
Always
Always

Oute ena sxolio meta apo toses meres? :-?

(Oute kan poies erwthseis ekane o prowler)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2007, 20:10 

http://www.metalfan.ro/articol.php?sect ... =585&lng=2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2007, 21:42 
Always
Always

Dutch wrote:
Oute ena sxolio meta apo toses meres? :-?

(Oute kan poies erwthseis ekane o prowler)

Nai!!!

Loipon, i Anneke leei oti sto koino aresoyn pio poly ta palia kommatia, ara STIN EPOMENI PERIODEIA THA VALOYN KAI TO IN MOTION II!!!! :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2007, 23:24 
Always
Always

Ftou re pousth, ki allo metal?

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2007, 23:25 
Always
Always

Re oyst!!! Ayto to tragoydi na akoysw live sti Thesniki kai tha stamatisw na grafw sto forum!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2007, 05:48 
Always
Always

Ok kanonisa na to paixoun sto epomeno live... :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2007, 09:31 
Always
Always

Ti na kanw, axizei mia mikri thysia gia na akoysw to tragoydi!!

Ase poy yparxoyn kai proteraiotites! Pio simantiko einai to ena apo to allo!!! :green: :green: :green: :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2007, 17:34 
Always
Always

Mas timas re Arh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2007, 20:20 

στο θέμα μας λοιπόν

Anneke interviewed by "Switch" magazine

S: which are your expectations for the new album?
A: We have released our last record three years ago and now we want to put more guitars in our music, basically we want to make a rock album. We like to change and this time we found that we had good ideas based on guitars so we have decided to follow this direction.

S: What is the difference between The Gathering in 1993 and in 2006?
A: There is a huge difference and no differences at the same time : we have evolved our sound step by step, starting from a heavy-doom style and we have always tried to improve and make something new in every album, but in the end we are still the same persons.

S: what do you think about today's metal scene?
A: The european scene is a lot different from the american scene. There is opera-oriented metal and pop-oriented metal like Evanescence, so even who's not into the scene can listen to bands with a hard base, not only headbangers who listen to metal all day alone in their rooms. There are many different kinds of music today, and i like it.

S: What do you think european bands have, that is missing in american bands instead?
A: I think europeans use to care more about their countries and their people. Their lyrics reflect their society, they have a different mentality. United states are morals, but it's fake because they have frail bases. Plus, the european perspective is opened on different themes while north-americans, for example, doesn't know what is going on out of their countries. But i also think that there is a good underground scene and these bands really care about their society and their leaders.

S: What makes The Gathering so special?
A: When we started making music, there weren't bands with a female voice, just heavy bands with male vocals. Plus, we make melodic music : combined with my voice and keyboards we get something with feelings.

S: How important are women in heavy-metal?
A: I don't know if they are really important, when i started there weren't so much women in the metal scene, but today there are a lot ; you can find singers, musicians or sound engineers etc.. this makes metal more melodic and with a better look. I don't know what men think about it but i think we made things change a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 20:03 
Always
Always

Pira interview apton Hans, an k mou eipe oxi polles erwtiseis, tin apolausa

http://www.metaldatabase.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 20:29 

ημερομηνία?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 20:32 
Always
Always

25/4/2007 :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 20:34 

thanx :D

δεν σου κάνω υπόδειξη αλλα ρε συ ήταν καλή ευκαιρία να ρωτήσεις πράγματα που δνε τα έχουν ρωτήσει άλλοι

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next