The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:34

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007, 00:06 
Always
Always

The greek room considers of getting to a different domain and forum. We'd like to be given a copy of the existing Mousikh and O,ti na'nai sections.
It doesn't involve the gathering section ,and you can keep all existent posts here too.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007, 18:24 
Always
Always

+1

Μέχρι να φανεί το φως
δρόμους θα διαβαίνω
όχι πως σε ξέχασα
μα δε σε προσμένω.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007, 19:02 

Petros wrote:
The greek room considers of getting to a different domain and forum. We'd like to be given a copy of the existing Mousikh and O,ti na'nai sections.
It doesn't involve the gathering section ,and you can keep all existent posts here too.

1) All posts are stored in one large database (19 000 000 entries, so manually editing is no option), and not separately per subforum (so it's not possible to backup one or more sections only).
2) The database contains private information (private messages, hidden e-mailaddresses, password, ...) and can not be given away to a third party without permission of all users.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007, 19:11 
Always
Always

So what can be done?
Can you with the collaboration with the new admin copy all the database and then delete manually all other subforums(that must be easy),and all none greek users. Or even better there will be just and option tou re-confirm registration by e-mail,so only the users on the greek forum will be active.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007, 22:18 
Always
Always

Martijn explains that it is impossible.

The data on the backup are many mb = many thousands of lines which are not categorized. So manual work could take many years in order to separate those lines that are about the greek room. And that's only IF you know which ones to choose.

In a database schema there are references x references x references which point from a db table to another, so practically is impossible to get a specific part of the db.

But that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007, 22:31 
Always
Always

Yes.

But i say that if he's kind enough,maybe he can collaborate with the next admin,who's already a member of this forum,and copy the whole database to the new one.

Then it's very easy to delete from there the posts,sections and all of this stuff. It's like taking a clone of this forum somewhere else,delete easily all that is not needed from the clone,and then just remains what we want,and optimize all the forum in the way we want it.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007, 22:39 
Always
Always

Oh.. Well, I'm not the one to answer. It's a solution that might be hiding configuration obstacles, but anyway.. Someone else has to answer that.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007, 22:52 

All users (and their posts) who didn't gave permission for giving their posts/private messages/e-mailaddress/password away to a third party needs to be removed as well. And what's left are incomplete topics, useless in my opinion.

And besides that I don't see the benefit of having two 'greek' TG-forums. Why not keep everything together at one place? Didn't you noticed the improvements which are being made last weeks?

Managing (moderator, updating forum software, backup) is not the problem, but it's the server where the forum runs which were often slow and sometimes down. And that's what the hosting company needs to manage. And when a forum is slow or for a short period down, you don't immediately move to an other hosting company (with 3 days of downtime for sure; likely more expensive and not a guaranteed better performance), but first try to optimize some things yourself and in collaboration with the hosting company. When that doesn't help you can have a look at an other hosting company. So suggestions for a better hosting company would be of a better help than starting a second greek TG-forum.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007, 23:12 
Always
Always

First of all i noticed but nothing is completely solved,and it's way past the patience of everyone. I agree it's not your fault(although the desicions are yours...)

There's a poll in the room,almost everyone agrees to go to another forum,with the conditions(database) i mentioned. Of course with the database noone wants to go. Also most of us will be dissapointined and not write again if,god forbid,the database form here is somehow lost,or if deletings occur again.

Anyway,also the greek forum is on one hand connected with TG of course,but it has grown into something much larger than that. We feel it like "ours" without being ours,and not even having anything to do with it.
Some want it to evolve and improve. Some new features would be cool,more subforums,and other stuff. But it's not up to us of course.

Now you got the whole picture..

Last edited by Petros on 29 Oct 2007, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007, 23:40 

When you register here you agree to this "While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “The Gathering” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised."

Which means Martijn would have to ask every people who posted on the Greek forum if he agrees or not... and then remove the post form the people who disagree.
I think this is a hassle for him and he can use his energy in a better way...

If you want your own forum, why not starts from scratch.. that's what the Chileans did with the forum of gathering.cl

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007, 23:42 
Always
Always

Why are you always coming out suddenly like a fart from the ass when noone's talking to you?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007, 23:52 

it's called freedom of speech and at least I'm making a suggestion...
and what I've written above is just telling that your request would cost Martijn a lot of time if he's to respect his own terms of use. So he's perfectly entitled to deny it if he wants to...

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007, 23:59 
Always
Always

Yes,but he has a mouth of his own. And i believe he can state whatever he wants to.
In the title as you saw it's @admin. It could be a pm,but i wanted any other member of the greek room to participate if wanted(except in our room/language).
You can too,but don't tell people what to do. If Martjin is pissed of by my comments and doesn't want to help,then he will state it. The end.

And get to read more what i'm saying. I gave the picture to the admin to know how it has. If we wanted to do a new forum from scratch we didn't need your aproval.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007, 23:08 
Always
Always

Are you considering your answer?

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 10:23 

Petros wrote:
Are you considering your answer?

The answer will be: no.

It's very unlikely that ALL users will give me the permission to give away a their posts/e-mailaddresses/private messages/passwords to a third party (besides Cycling Colours and The Gathering). Even if 90% would agree the 'copy' then it's not doable to do this registration manually and remove the 10% who didn't give permission (and if ad random 10% of posts are removed from the middle of discussions then these discussions will become almost worthless).

If you want to start a new forum (not specific about The Gathering, as you wrote), feel free to do so. Isn't it better to start with a fresh (empty) forum which you can fill and order (forum sections) in the way you want and with your forum rules and moderation?

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 15:41 
Always
Always

No. The users want the current database. Which we don't own,a little bit like slavery. But that's the rules. So thank you anyway.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2007, 03:17 
Always
Always

Though it seems the matter has long ended, I was left with one question. Why not simply take EVERY POST that has been made from the Greek userz, and give it to us, we can sort it out, we won't have a problem. That is, IF all Greek members agree to that.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]